I haven't downloaded the game, but I love the art at the front page, can you make this an anime?? it looks super cool! downloading now!
Hero Soul: I want to be a Hero! (Demo)
A downloadable game for macOS
Hero Soul is a 2D pixel ARPG with Rogue-Lite game play elements, which incorporates traditional RPG/JRPG game play with Rogue-Lite elements. This Demo includes the 2nd level of the game, called The Koros Forest.
Long ago, the continent of Terra was shattered by a great disaster separating the mortal races onto islands. From that disaster 4 powerful island kingdoms rose: The Kavic Dominion, The Gestalt Republic, The Valakan Federation, and finally The Kingdom of Alteria.
You are a citizen of Alteria, a prosperous kingdom with rich supplies of Fire Essence. While Alteria is currently at peace, diplomatic tensions are building between Alteria and the Kavic Dominion. On the other hand, dark clouds are gathering as an ancient evil is returning to Alteria. More than ever the kingdom could use a hero, but who will take up that mantle? Follow the story of Cecilia and watch events unfold as she learns and sees if she has what it takes to be a hero!
In Hero Soul you can cast spells in addition to your normal attacks. Spells builds vary from run to run. As you play you will discover spell (Arcana) cards. Using these cards, you can then add them to your Spell Deck using the Major and Minor Arcana System. With this system you can create deadly and amazing spell chain combos or even discover long lost hidden Arcana!
The landscape of Alteria is always shifting, and no two levels will be alike. Experience increased replay-ability with procedurally generated levels quests and monsters! No level or run will be exactly the same and no story will be either!
While the game's name is Hero Soul, the Hero Soul also refers to the modular talent tree system that handles your character's skills and talents. This system allows you to mix and match different hero archetypes to create your ideal hero. Heroes are are discovered randomly as you progress thorough the game.
Additionally, the choices you make as a hero will also impact the outcome of the game and the events that will happen during the game.
I've mostly worked on this project solo, but had a lot of help from some amazing people!
Eadgear, character art
HiddenOne, character sprites
Sharm, Germania Tileset, World Map Tileset
Vnitti, Taiga AssetPack & Glacial Mountain AssetPack
Nenad Simic, UI Noise
Eriegrass, NPC sprites
Xelu, controller/key sprites
Jason, finalbossblues, sprites
rvros, Monster Sprites
Chau Ho, Story
Ken Sparks, Sprites
David Kim, Koros Forest 1, UI Sounds
[Copyright] Knamica | Unity Technologies Japan
[Copyright] GT-K | Unity Technologies Japan
[Copyright](C) 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC;
artists Archeia, EvilEagles, Tobby Ong, Caz
[Credits in progress, more to come as I add more]
12/7/18 Added gameplay video
12/8/18 Added a mac build? No idea if it works
3/16/18 Updated Gameplay Demo
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- 3/16/18 Development Log: New Demo4 days ago
- Development Log 3/5/19: Construction in Progress15 days ago
- Development Log 2/25/19: Back from the Dead23 days ago
- Development Log 2/4/19: Limit Breaking44 days ago
- Development Log 1/28/19 Into the Mines51 days ago
- Development Log 1/21/19: Very Heavy58 days ago
- Development Log 1/14/19: C-c-combo!65 days ago
- Development Log 1/6/1973 days ago
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Quick & Clean TLDR First Impressions:
-Please provide a way for me to permanently mute the 'battle voices' during combat. They are the most annoying thing ever. Drove me insane in Freedom Planet (which is why I still haven't purchased it).
-Animations seem a bit stiff/plain. Hopefully can be improved over time alongside other graphical improvements like spell-effects.
-I got a Water Anima spell but there didn't seem to be a way to swap spells out or let me actually see what it did. Was a bit disappointed by that.
-Scrolling and screen transitions are jarring and unpolished. Hoping this is improved in future versions.
-Please consider a toggle to disable screen shake as well as 'outline enemies' like the ones that hide in the corners behind the huge UI stuff. Would love to be able to hide the UI or parts of the UI or resize it if possible. Perhaps even have the UI dynamically resize itself based on resolution.
Thank you for your comments!
-Great idea i'll look into adding a toggle or a volume slider for it
-Anything regarding art unfortunately will take some time. This game is currently a solo project and my expertise is mainly in the development programming side. Though I do agree with you, and would like better animations down the line
-Currently you are allowed to swap between levels, but I am considering allowing you to instantly equip newly acquired spells.
-I am already working on a solution to highlight enemies behind objects. As for the UI, I agree as well. The game's UI is currently locked on 800x600 resolution regardless of the game's resolution. I am looking into changing this in the future. As for screen shake perhaps can look into a magnitude slider since I am looking to add more settings to the setting menu.
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!
It is refreshing to meet an indie dev that takes feedback/criticism in a good way and is able to be honest about improving themselves. Major kudos for that :)
I have at least 2 artists on my Discord server; one specializes in (3D) modeling/texturing but has some 2D skills and the other is exclusively a 2D artist. They would need paid work, but if you are interested then feel free to join up in my Discord server and ask them if you like.
So, I just finished the demo and I thought it was pretty fun. I think any game that reminds me of PS2-era Action RPGs do that to me. Especially when calling out spell names, and the spell slots felt very Kingdom Hearts. Just some thoughts below:
- I liked the weight of hits, you were certain where everything connected.
- The heavy charge attacks didn't really seem useful/it took too long. Maybe just a heavier, slower animation instead of a charge? In comparison the magic is fairly quick to cast and powerful.
- I like the spell card system and changing in-between, although I wasn't sure how to change spells after I found new ones.
- Receiving new spells had a few graphical glitches. Namely an empty box that displays what I assume to be the name of a variable or something. I could also control other menus during picking new spells, and switching my deck. The controls were odd too did it only move left and right with RB/LB?
- Graphics were nice. Lol, that's all I gotta say.
- And choosing the MC is also pretty awesome. Are the partners gonna be the other MCs or are there gonna be partner-only chars too in the future?
- Focusing on moral choices is awesome too! I got a big Ultima vibe from that with the whole tarot cards thing.
- Enemies hiding behind bushes. That was a tad annoying, since they threw projectiles at you that you could really see. The bullets lingered on the screen a bit long but that was probably intentional. It just slows the pace when you kind of wait for them to move.
- The levels were also very cramped for the amount of movement you could do. I felt a Secret of Mana vibe but it didn't mesh well with dodging enemy bullets.
Apologies for the wall of text.
Thank you for playing! In regards to some of the stuff you said,
1. Yeah, I've been having trouble making heavy attacks have a use. The main use of them, that is not seen in the demo, is that they are used to interrupt some enemies when they are doing combos or are invulnerable. I didn't want to just give them a straight numbers boost. I'll have to go back and reconsider. Oh, one thing to note too, is that you can charge the heavy while you use the light, though it will drain more stamina.
2. There are like rest sites between levels where spells can be changed. This is also where you can switch companions, vendor items, etc. Hmm.. it sounds like you were using a controller, there are still many glitches with that... >___> And yes LB/RB for controller is used to cycle.
4. Yes you get to pick a MC and the MCs you did not pick are available to you as companions. Each MC will have a slightly different story and choices available to them. Also, ultimately the choices you make may change events down the line in the story as well as influence the ending.
5/6. I wanted the forest to feel a bit cramped, and I can see how it could be annoying with a ton of projectile enemies. I am currently looking into diversifying the enemies that spawn and making them closer to what enemies are like in Secret of Mana and less of a bullet hell. I am also looking into adding an outline or something for enemies hiding behind trees or bushes.
Again thanks for playing!